Project Description This eight-day design exercise was commissioned by my architect client to prove the initial concept plan forms and massing provided with the Outline Planning Application was feasible and give confidence to the stakeholders that the initial massing could be developed into a design appropriate for the brief and conditions.
A two-day brainstorming session was concluded with the presentation of three preferred options (see lower half of this page) of which one was selected by the client to be developed into a set of initial 3d visualisations (following images).
The goal of this project is to provide:
– Viable, iconic mixed-use facility with the critical mass necessary to act as a new leisure and commercial ‘destination’.
– UEFA compliant 8,000 seat capacity football stadium for sport, public concerts and performances
– State of the art commercial recording studio complex, (sound and vision), with TV facilities
– Quality retail and office floor space, restaurants and cafes
– Resilient buildings designed to the highest environmental standards in terms of sustainability, carbon footprint and energy conservation
– Privately funded and financially self-sufficient
Role and Responsibilities As a consulting senior designer, I shared responsibility with one other designer to develop several outline concept designs, after which I prepared a presentation along with precedent images to provide further confidence in feasibility and buildability.
Above: Aerial view from south showing the high-value music venue, recording facilities and associated accommodation on the southern aspect.
Below: Aerial view identifying key programme and circulation components.
Above: Bird’s eye view looking south-east with coastline in near background.
Below: Bird’s eye view looking north-west with background urban context.
Bottom visualisation: Interior view of performance area as a UEFA compliant football pitch, looking south towards venue stage and recording facilities and associated accommodation.
Initial Sketch Concept A